Two Weeks To Go
It’s time to start dismantling your carefully crafted home, room by room, plus there is another raft of people to notify.
* If you’ve decided to pack for yourself, the marathon begins! Work through non-essential items – books, ornaments, out-of-season clothes, toys – and mark the boxes with what’s inside and what room it needs to end up in.
* Send change of address cards or use an online service to notify friends and family of your new details and the date.
* Confirm the details with your removal firm.
* Arrange a time to collect the keys from the estate agent.
* Financial companies – These include your bank, credit card, investments, savings accounts, loans, life assurances, pensions, and shares.
* Doctor, dentist, optician – Deregister if you’re moving out of the area or notify your existing suppliers of your change of contact details.
* Post – It takes five days to set up the instruction to redirect your post, so to be on the safe side visit the post office or complete the online form (opens in a new window)now.
* Deliveries – Notify deliveries such as milk and newspapers that you are moving and the date on which you’d like the service to stop.
* Electoral register – Don’t lose your right to vote – go online to update your details.
* TV licence – If you don’t notify TV Licensing of your new address, you could end up being unlicensed in your new home, risking prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000, so complete the form online(opens in a new window) or call 0844 800 6722.
* Friends and relatives – Sending cards by post can be expensive- go through your email address book and send a message with your new details.
* Non-essential organisations – Don’t overlook connections you may have to charities, loyalty cards, subscriptions, gym membership, and mail order and internet companies.