The Night Before
Aside from the last-minute packing, there are a few more things to do to help the moving day itself run smoothly.
* Pack a bag for each member of the family containing their essentials: change of clothes, nightwear, toiletries, and not forgetting bed linen and towels.
* Organise a box for the kitchen containing tea, coffee, milk, mugs, cutlery, and the kettle. If you are staying in the same area, include a couple of takeaway menus, as you won’t feel like cooking – and may not have the means to – by the end of the day. You may also want to pop in a bottle of bubbly – ideal as there’s no need for a bottle opener!
* As you will probably arrive in advance of the van, keep cleaning materials and the vacuum cleaner with you – you may have the chance to give the house a quick once-over before every room is filled with boxes.
* You may want to put together a mini-toolkit with a screwdriver and allen key, knife, tape, light bulbs, candles.
* Keep important numbers with you, such as the solicitor and estate agent, and a pen and paper.
A copy of the Yellow Pages may be handy if you have room – you never know if you’ll need to call a plumber or glazier.
* Charge mobile phones.
* Defrost the freezer.
* Put valuables and documents in a safe place.